Friday, February 26, 2021

It's in the Air!

 It's in the Air!

Every morning I wake up to a muffled, soft rumble in the air outside my window. At first, I thought it was rain and thunder, but I finally got used to the planes coming in to the Tri-City-Airport near by.
My husband and I had travelled that sky route many times as we came to visit family here. Most times the last leg of our journey was rough, bumping along with clinched fingers holding tight. Often, we couldn't sit together, me beside a non-talker who kept his eyes closed.
After Howard's illness and eventual passing, my scattered family, after our dear one's funeral, insisted that I stay at their homes , to distract my grief and sadness.
After spending weeks at their various homes, it was time for me to go back to Tennessee. This time, my son, Trevor, arranged my flight via Dallas, Texas, to the Tri-City Airport. The flight this time was a top-notch, sleek, comfort and non-stop for the flight of only a little more than an hour.
"Are we descending?" I asked my surprised seat mate, a studious young adult who appeared to study law, by the thick book he perused. In no time we landed safely and family members were here to greet me.
A time of settling in has followed, the routine of buying groceries, solitary meals, and Sunday church. And when I hear the rumble of the morning plane, I realize that some unknown time in the future, I'll fly away!

No comments:

Post a Comment