Tuesday, October 23, 2018

The Threefold Cord

Getting ready to go to a ladies' fellowship breakfast this morning, I reached for a necklace that would go perfectly with my blouse. It had two long strands of tiny, red beads and one long strand of shiny little black beads. I had bought it a few years back when my daughter-in-love took me to a fun accessory store called "Charming Charlie's" in picturesque Georgetown, Texas.

As soon as I put the string of beads around my neck, I heard a pecking, staccato sound at my feet. I looked down to see a peppering of red beads on the floor! Oh, no! I tried in vain to catch them as the beads continued to rain down!

What to do? Well, I still had a black strand and one red one, so I grabbed some scissors and clipped off the offending cord. I wore the abbreviated necklace and no one was the wiser!

Somehow the phrase, "A three-fold cord is not easily broken," popped into my head. It is from a scripture in Ecclesiastes 4:12, which reads, "And if someone might overpower another by himself, two together can withstand him. A threefold cord is not quickly broken."

This can apply to marriage. A couple may have a strong union as their lives are intertwined, but if Jesus is added to become a third person in their relationship, it is a union that is not easily broken! Unlike my beads that fell hopelessly to the floor, Jesus is a like a strong tower of support to strengthen or mend the marriage!

I had scurried all over the floor to pick up the scattered beads that could easily cause a fall. If we trust and call on our Savior, He is there to pick up the pieces of broken hearts and put them back together as one again! Something I could never do with a string of beads!

No comments:

Post a Comment