Saturday, October 27, 2018

The Power Cord

"Your battery is very low." These ominous, electronic words greeted me when I turned on my computer. I quickly plugged in the power cord, and I was up and running again!

"Your battery is very low." So I didn't have to be told to realize that! My battery often runs low when I am tired, out of sorts, or in my spiritual life. I can rest or eat something for the first two, but I have to take up my Bible and read, or be more prayerful to feel better spiritually.

Other times that my battery runs low are when a service or two at church is missed, or when I don't go to Sunday morning breakfast at church or to a Wednesday evening meal with the fellowship of friends.

Apparently, breaking bread together, or eating together, is very important! Of the early church, scripture says, "They continued steadfastly in the apostles' teaching and fellowship, in the breaking of bread and in the prayers," Acts 2:42.

In another place we find, "On the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to leave the next day, preached to them and continued his message until midnight," Acts 20:7.

Batteries need to be recharged at times. Nothing is worse than to get into a car and find that the battery is dead. We can recharge our spiritual batteries if we follow the admonition of I Thessalonians 5:11: "Therefore encourage one another and edify one another, just as you are doing."

David encouraged himself in the Lord by singing in Psalm 13:6, but I find the best way to encourage myself is to plug in my spiritual power cord!








No comments:

Post a Comment