Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Aisle 4

"Do you have Kleenex?" I asked a cashier standing near her register at Aldi's. I was about ready to check out, but I remembered I had to have some tissues for my allergies, and all I saw were paper towels, paper plates and other paper goods.

She reached for a paper towel, ripped it in half and brought it to me. At first, I didn't know what she was doing, then I realized she thought I said, "Do you have a Kleenex?"

I laughed and said, "No, I want a box of Kleenex!" Then the helpful employee pointed out the boxes I had over looked. I took one, and as she went back to her register, I smiled and said, "Thanks anyway, for giving me a'Kleenex'."

The young woman's instant response in handing me a piece of paper towel made me realize she had a compassionate spirit. Most women, especially those with kids, re-act quickly to an emergency situation! A child may be snatched from danger, or a falling cup caught.

It is easy to recognize those, both men and women, who have what we call a servant's heart. They are quick to respond to needs, even before someone else can act. When we were pastors in Mississippi, several people in particular lovingly took care of the church custodial duties on their own without being asked.

I could see a servant's heart in one of my granddaughters as she grew up. She was always ready to jump up and get something that someone might mention they wanted. Others of my granddaughters have the same trait.

Psalm 123:2, "Behold, as the eyes of servants look unto the hand of their masters, and as the eyes of a maiden unto the hand of her mistress, so our eyes wait upon the Lord our God, until that he have mercy upon us."

Isaiah 40:31 assures us, "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings of eagles; they shall run and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint."

If we wait (as lingering in God's presence) upon the Lord, it will be easy to wait on (as in serving) others!

No comments:

Post a Comment