Thursday, October 18, 2018

It Is!

Last night in Pastor's message he quoted from Matthew 11:30, where Jesus says, "My yoke is easy, and my burden is light." The religious people Jesus had been trying to reach had countless commandments and rules that they endeavored to keep. Their load was heavy, and Jesus was bringing a new way for them and for us all.

In verses 28-30, Jesus invites: "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest for your souls. My yoke is easy and my burden is light."

"Yoke" is commonly referred to as the heavy, wooden neck piece placed on oxen as they labored for their masters. Jesus was not referring to putting that kind of yoke on people. He knew that the old way was impossible to keep.

The word, yoga, comes from the word, yoke. Yoga was a religious discipline. Jesus wanted to give them a new discipline that was easy. The only requirement was to learn of Him, and to believe Him when He said, "I am the Life, the Truth and the Way,"John 4:16.

The religious leaders of that day had 613 commandments, but when Jesus was asked which one of His was the greatest, he replied, "The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; the Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength; this is the first commandment.

And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these." Mark 12:29-31. Amen!






No comments:

Post a Comment