Monday, March 2, 2020

The Road not Taken

Feeling under the weather yesterday, I missed church, much as I wanted to go. I went back to bed, and later, my hubby made lunch! He made grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. (He never cooks!)

Still feeling wobbly, I lay down after lunch and went to sleep for a long nap, only to be awakened by my spouse saying, "Get up! We're going to see the donkeys!"

Somewhat reluctantly, but feeling better by this time, I got ready for the ride. Usually, my wanna-be farmer husband goes out to this magnificent farm he raves about with our son-in-law, Steve, but he was not available. It seems the  owner has two little donkeys he wants to give away, and Howard wanted to show them to me.

The ride on this beautiful afternoon was refreshing, as along the route we saw children going out to play on swing sets, throw balls, or just meander around in the March 1st sunshine! Mesmerized by the scenery, I was enjoying the outing, but getting a little tired.

The roads on this mountainous, Tennessee terrain are as winding as a snake and never ending, only to lead to other winding roads. Unfortunately, we were obviously on the wrong road (s)! After at least two hours of endless curves and adjoining roads, we finally came upon a residence with people getting out of a car.  At last, maybe someone would give us directions! By this time, we only wanted to know how to get home, which we finally did!

I was reminded of the poem, "The Road Not Taken," by Robert Frost:

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, And be one traveler, long I  stood; Looked down on one to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, though just as fair, and having perhaps the better claim, because it was grassy and wanted wear. Though as for the passing there, had worn them really about the same. And both that passing equally lay in leaves no step had trodden black. Oh I kept the first for another day! Yet knowing how way leads on to way, I doubted if I should ever come back.

Well, since Steve took Howard  to see the donkeys today, I doubt if he will ever come back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment