Friday, March 20, 2020

Meandering

We splurged on groceries yesterday, stocking up for staying home. When an employee saw us examining our list, she offered to get the items for us so we wouldn't have to go through the store.  Since we needed more than what was on the list, we declined.

Granddaughters Bethany and Sarah had already made forays for us, picking up things from a list last week.  Although I had recently bought a huge bag of pinto beans, they brought home four bags of black beans! Among other things.

So on this rainy day of isolation, it seemed like the right time to cook a pot of the pintos. Well, I couldn't have beans without cornbread, so I stirred up a batter. Since our oven is having problems, I used my ingenuity, putting the cornbread mix in a skillet, stove-top! Flipping the giant pancake was a challenge, but it tasted delicious! Then I thought of the head of cabbage in the fridge, so coleslaw was a must. I will admit, everything tasted great (I hadn't cooked beans in months), including the sliver of lemon meringue pie resting in the fridge!

I had been concerned about a planned special service at our church on Sunday when a guest speaker was scheduled. It would be  the 25th anniversary there for our pastor and his wife. A dinner was to be prepared by the church ladies for everyone, and I was deliberating about what to bring, a little uneasy about even attending. Thankfully, everything was called off, in view of the virus situation!

It is pouring rain outside currently,  and the steady drumming on the window is getting on my nerves. A little while ago, I rode with Howard down to the mailbox, and thankfully, I carried an umbrella, as it had started sprinkling when we stepped out. By the time we got back, trying, but a little unsuccessfully to stay dry, we were glad to get inside.

Our visiting family is journeying home today, but they came by pre-dawn to share good-byes and hugs for the road. We miss them already, cherishing the fun times and praying for their safety all the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment