Friday, March 27, 2020

Under the Umbrella

"Where is the umbrella?" I asked in alarm! It all started when my hubby was sitting on our small deck yesterday, enjoying the beautiful weather and sunshine. But it was getting a little hot out there, although he was reluctant to come in.

Meanwhile, two of our granddaughters came by with their tots and decided to fix Paw-Paw a shade. They propped up our large umbrella and attached it to the porch railing. Nevertheless, the umbrella slid and slipped and wouldn't stay up. After their repeated attempts of using books and other things to steady it, I remembered the heavy book-ends I had, polished from heavy, varnished stones. That worked amazingly!

The kids went home, and I went inside to watch TV news.  Soon Howard came in to relax also.  Much later in the day, I stepped out on the porch to find my wonderful, favorite umbrella missing!

"What happened to my umbrella?" I demanded in front of the television program he was watching, to which he said, "It fell down." What? I had already looked all around for it, but it was no where to be found.

Then it occurred to  me to look in the side yard down the slope.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it, fully opened and stuck to the fence of a neighbor's pasture where the wind had taken it! I scrambled down, grabbed it and hiked back up to the porch, taking it inside to hang on a coat rack.  Now I could relax!

Today is a much better day. I saw two robins this morning, a true harbinger of spring! After checking the mail, we walked out to see the donkeys. I heard their trade mark  "Hee-haw," but they were hidden by the trees. Animals and wild life are so amazing. They are mostly self-sufficient, happy and free, but under God's umbrella of safety!

"Look at the birds. They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them," Matthew 6:26.





No comments:

Post a Comment