Friday, October 18, 2013

What Not to Wear

"I don't know if she or her dad chose that outfit, but that's not what she wore to school today!" my daughter-in-law commented the other day on a Facebook photo of her 7-year-old daughter all ready for her karate lesson. The little mismatched outfit with purple-patterned tights and cowboy boots was obviously pulled on after school while her mom was still at work.

Today I saw a post by a young mother whose comment read, "That is definitely not the outfit I had laid out for him!" A picture of her two-year-old son in a shopping cart pushed by his father told the story. They were on an outing while mommy taught school.

I was reminded of the time I was getting my then 4-year-old granddaughter ready for pre-K. My daughter, at work as a nurse, had left the clothes out that I was to put on her. "I don't wanna wear that!" Rachel protested with a pout, arms folded across her chest. I pleaded and cajoled to no avail. She simply wouldn't wear the cute ensemble.

"What do you want to wear?" I said, resignedly sliding hangers of other outfits along the closet rod.

"That!" she exclaimed, pointing to a long, ruffled skirt and ecru lace-trimmed peasant top. It did look cute, I had to admit after I had her dressed. I let her wear her boots with it, and she went happily off to school, all smiles.

Later that day, Amy called me to see if her daughter got off to school alright. I assured her that PaPa and I had delivered her and I had walked her to her class, as usual. I told her about the outfit change, and she asked, "What did she wear?" When I told her, she burst out laughing, "That's the exact same thing she wore yesterday!"

It was, except Amy said that the day before, Rachel had worn plastic toy shoes with it. Well, that was fine for play, which was mainly what they did, I guess. I know the little smarty played a good one on her Mimi!

No comments:

Post a Comment