Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Fresh Manna

Where have I been?  In Paul's first letter to the Corinthians,  I never associated verses 5:1-5 (where the man is cast out from the church for immorality),  with verses 2:5-11 in his second letter.  In this passage in II Corinthians, Paul is admonishing forgiveness and comfort for the offender. Verse 7 indicates that the man has suffered enough and should  be forgiven "...lest such a one be swallowed up with too much sorrow." Our pastor was preaching on comfort in his sermon last Sunday.

It's always good to learn something new in church!  A few days ago as we walked into Hobby Lobby,  I said to Howard, "Listen!  Do you hear that song?"  The beautiful melody of  "My Father's World" was playing in the background.  My husband wasn't too familiar with it, but it is one of my favorite hymns, though rarely heard.  Imagine my surprise when the pastor put it on the screen for us to sing! That afternoon we took a walk in Cann Gardens, and surrounded by all that beauty,  I couldn't help but agree with the words of the song.

At Sunday evening prayer, our pastor passed out a sheet with the following questions for our reflection:

1. Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I really am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?

2. Do I confidentially pass on to others what has been said to me in confidence?

3. Can I be trusted?

4. Am I a slave to dress, friends, work or habits?

5. Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?

6. Did the Bible live in me today?

7. Do I give the Bible time to speak to me every day?

8. Am I enjoying prayer?

9. When did I last speak to  someone else of my faith?

l0. Do I pray about the money I spend?

11. Do I go to bed and get up on time?

12. Do I disobey God in anything?

13. Do I insist upon doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?

14. Am I defeated in any part of my life?

15. Am I jealous, impure, critical, touchy or distrustful?

16. How do I spend my spare time?

17. Am I proud?

18. Do I thank God I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisees who despised the publican?

19. Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold a resentment toward or disregard? If so, what am I doing about it?

20. Do I grumble or complain constantly?

21. Is Christ real to me?

Thinking about how applicable these points are to our lives today, I was amazed to learn the list was compiled in the 18th century by John and Charles Wesley!





No comments:

Post a Comment