Saturday, October 26, 2013

Excursion

"Do you want a sandwich lunch, or something more like home cooking?" our grandson, Chase, asked Howard and me.  We were in Tulsa meeting his parents, our son Mark and wife Rhonda, while they were up from Texas to visit him, and we were all going to lunch.  Just then we passed a low, brick building and our cafe-savvy grandson said, "That place is not fancy, but their food is incredible!"  He checked with his Pa Pa, who said that sounded good to him.

On the way to the powder room  while the others were finishing their hardy selections, I heard the twang of guitars and the unmistakable sound of blue grass music coming from a side dining room.  I looked to see a dozen or so country-style musicians sitting in a semi-circle playing guitars, banjos and even a woman playing a bass violin as someone was singing a plaintive tune.  I wasted no time in telling my husband about it, since that kind of music is one of his passions.  The men-folk all headed to the room, and even though they had started to pack up their instruments, the friendly group gave their appreciative listeners a mini-concert. The restaurant was definitely the right choice!

When Chase came back to the table, he started to tell me something funny at his mother's suggestion, and then said, "Just let me read you the text."  It seems his landlord, who lives next door to him had written, "I saw someone in your yard, and he said, 'Hi!  I'm Chase's dad.'  I said, 'Oh, sure you are,' not believing him.  He said, 'Yes, Chase is my son!'  I shook my head and walked away, but then I thought, maybe it really is Chase's father!  He just didn't look that old!  I think maybe I owe your dad an apology!"

Apology!  I call that a compliment, although Mark laughed it off. With his spare frame and youthful appearance, people routinely think him 35 or 40, when he is 54!  We were having such a good time with them, especially since we were going to get the chance to see Chase's house he moved into about a year ago.  The cozy cottage in a settled, older neighborhood was charming with its beaded wainscoting, white moulding and woodwork, and tasteful furnishings.  It was as neat as a pin in its uncluttered masculine decor.

We really got a feel for the environment of our young engineer by seeing his college from which he graduated with honors four years ago, his old dorm and fraternity house and the lovely buildings on campus.  Then he took us to his office in a beautiful professional building surrounded by tall trees showering the walkways with autumn leaves.  The view was especially lovely from the plate glass window behind his desk.  We are so proud of him, and thank the Lord for the man he has become and for the godly parents who raised him!

"Behold, children are an heritage from the Lord," Psalm 127:3.   "Behold, thus shall the man be blessed Who fears the Lord...Yes, may you see your children's children," Psalm 128:4,6.

No comments:

Post a Comment