Sunday, October 6, 2013

Running Over

"Howard, look at this!" I said to my husband. We were in the gift shop of the Loretta Lynn Kitchen where we'd had a late lunch on our way home from Tennessee last week. I had picked up the cutest cup, well a half cup, really, sliced vertically in two with the back half missing. I immediately thought of our friend and former pastor's wife, Amanda, who often went about pouring coffee during a church supper. She would ask Howard if he'd like a cup, to which he invariably answered, "Just a half a cup." She teased him about his predictable response. The letters on the side of the cup read, "You asked for half a cup of coffee!" Howard bought the cup.


Then this morning in Sunday School a close friend of Amanda's walked in and presented Howard with an identical cup! "That has to be from Amanda!" I exclaimed. How funny! What are the odds we would see the same cup and have the same impulse, she in northwest Oklahoma and us in Tennessee, all at the same time? They had moved away over two years ago, and we hadn't seen them in forever! Well, great minds think alike, they say!

I love little surprises like this. Blessings, I call them. We were given some special photos by our family we visited last week, and I was intending to buy frames for them when I got home. Putting a load of vacation laundry into the washer the next day, I bumped into a cardboard carton stored nearby, dislodging the lid. There were three picture frames on top! I realized the box belonged to our daughter-in-law and called her to ask if I could use the frames. "Sure, go ahead!" she responded. "I don't even remember the box!" Now three beautifully framed photographs are gracing my home, at no cost!

We had stopped at a motel early on a rainy evening of our trip, and as the manager gave us the key, he said, "See that Mexican restaurant next door? Your supper is on the house!" Dinner? That beats a continental breakfast any day! And it was good!

Today after a precious church service, we had a surprise invitation for Sunday lunch at our kids' house. It was delicious, and it was good to get together with them after our two-week absence. I'm counting my blessings! I heard a song that goes, "I'm drinking from my saucer, 'cause my cup has overflowed." And that's not half a cup!



No comments:

Post a Comment