Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Fill My Cup, Lord

Putting away my clean dishes the other morning, I couldn't help but notice how many there were.  There were the large dinner plates I had used last night to hold our fish supper from Howard's catch at the pond. I had wanted room for the salad and baked potato with the crispy pan fish. (Thank you, God, for your provision, and this bonus free meal!)

Then there were the snack bowls from the after-school treats for the grandchildren: popcorn (a big one for Pa Pa, too), and the requisite noodle bowl for the first-grader. Grandchildren are a blessing!

I had to put away several glasses, sparkling clean after use for water, tea and milk.  Two glass pitchers were there, too, one for my sweet tea and one for the unsweet my husband likes. Our thirst has to be quenched, just as our spiritual thirst is satisfied by the Water of Life.

Look at all these utensils! I thought, as I picked up a shiny ladle (from the pot of beans I had made for lunch), a large serving spoon (from taste-testing the beans as they cooked), knives from slicing tomatoes and red onions and cutting the cornbread, let alone the various silverware.  What would I do without these kitchen tools?  II Peter 1:3 says He has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness.

There were the small, plastic mixing  bowl and the wooden spoon I had used for the cornbread. How good it tasted with butter from the butter dish I found in the drainer.  (He fills our mouth with good things.)

Then there were the pots and pans, even an oatmeal pan I had soaked. Oatmeal is our favorite breakfast, enjoyed almost every morning at our red, drop-leaf table in the kitchen (or at our wicker table on the front porch, weather permitting.)  Our bowl of oats is usually topped by strawberries and/or blue berries and bananas, with raisin toast and crisp, turkey bacon. After breakfast, Howard usually retreats to the front porch with his Bible and I to my corner to gain sustenance from the Bread of Life.

Putting away the last item, I surveyed the clean counter before I got out the eggs and skillet to start the new day, reminding myself that "This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment