Friday, October 4, 2013

BFF

My fourteen-year-old granddaughter has been inviting her school friend to come to church with her. They are best friends, so the girl often sleeps over on Saturday night to go to church with the family the next day. She likes church, and alerts Rachel early in the week that she is planning to go. Apparently, she noticed that Rachel usually wears a dress to church, because the other day she said, "Rachel, I have ordered my dresses so I can go to church."

Visiting at our daughter's house last week, one day my husband and I passed time by browsing in the Christian book store while the family was away at school and work. "Look at this," Howard said, handing me a book on Bible promises. It was full of scriptures relating to topics such as, "Fear," "Sickness," "Loneliness," etc., arranged in categories.

"I want to get two of these for the girls," he said of our teen granddaughters. We saw only one of the small books on the shelf, though, so he went back to talk to the manager. Turns out that was all they had in stock, so the manager placed an order, to be ready the next Wednesday.

"They can share that one for now," I said. And they both loved it! Rachel came home from school that night to tell us her friend saw it, asked what it was, and wants one, too! Since we would be returning home, we told them about the order and they plan to get one for her. How refreshing for a teenager today to be hungry for the things of God!

"Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth," the Bible enjoins in Ecclesiastes 12:1. I am so glad our granddaughter's wholesome lifestyle has influenced her friend. The Bible says that even a child is known by his doings. High school these days can be a very dark place, but that is a good place to light a candle!

No comments:

Post a Comment