Thursday, October 10, 2013

Neither Rain, Nor Snow, Nor Gloom of Night...

My long-distance efforts at keeping in touch with grandchildren have been going awry lately. When the check never cleared we had sent our grandson in his birthday card, we called and learned he has never received it! I sent it almost a month ago! Poor kid, and I had told him to expect it! Pa Pa is making out another one.

While browsing a store on our recent vacation, I saw something that would be perfect to let the 4-and six-year-old granddaughters know I was thinking about them. It was the right price and the right size and weight for mailing--two little net tutus with stretch bodices. It was also a craft, with the net skirt strips to be looped through the bottom of the bodice for a whirly effect. They couldn't do the craft alone, but it would be fun with adult help.

When I asked our son about them, he said they hadn't done them yet, but that the baby-sitter would help them. I have heard no more about it.

A few days ago, some cute stickers in some mail solicitations arrived in our box, and as I started to throw them away it occurred to me that the girls might like them. I found two "Thinking of you," cards with a puppy on each, wrote a note to each child, and sealed the envelopes. Then I realized I didn't know which greeting was to Maddie and which was to Anne-Marie. Oh well, I reasoned, if the wrong name is on the envelope, they can just trade cards! I took a guess, addressed them and put them in the mail. Wrong!

My son just called and announced, "You have caused consternation in the Summers' household." He said Anne-Marie got a card that said "Dear Maddie." I explained and suggested they just trade envelopes.

"You mean you sent two?" he asked in surprise. But of course! I assured him I had and he said okay it would probably come tomorrow.

The other day in Tennessee our newly-wed granddaughter was showing me their apartment and wedding albums. Seeing all the mementos of their wedding reminded me of something cute I had at home, a Mr. and Mrs. Coupon Book I had picked up at a Christian bookstore once. I told her about it and said I would send it to her. I mailed it the same day as the ill-fated cards, so I only hope she gets it while she is still a newly-wed!


No comments:

Post a Comment