Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Serendipity: Happy Accident or Pleasant Surprise

"Where do you think that road is?" I asked my husband.  Our GPS wouldn't pick up the address to a garage sale we were looking for.  "Do you think you just go straight where the highway curves?"  He said he believed we should stay on the highway and find it from there.  After we had driven almost to the Kansas line (not really that far), he decided to go back to the old road.  Sure enough, there it was, just beyond the curve.

We had picked out two sales from the newspaper but  noticed one that wasn't advertised.  We stopped and found a veritable shoppers' paradise!  Well, everything I liked, but didn't need.  A great wall-decor-photo frame still in the original wrapper that I had seen in Cracker Barrel for more than I wanted to pay, but a steal here!

"Look at that mirror!" I exclaimed over a curvy wood-framed glass with decorative holes in the frame. A bargain at $3!  Several more items to my liking that I later found just the right place for at home sent me on  my way in contentment.  Now we were searching for the sale that advertised fishing gear for my husband's new passion.

"Is this the place that has fishing equipment?" Howard asked a man standing in front of a metal building.  The grinning  oldster waiting  in front nodded and motioned us in.  What a treasure trove! This man was evidently a collector!  The cavernous space was jam-packed with neatly organized fishing paraphernalia--everything from cane poles, fishing rods, and cabinets full of reels to displays and selections of  hooks, sinkers, and lines, all accompanied by folksy tales from the proprietor.  Turns out he knew Howard's cousins and families from the area that we had lost touch with years ago!

My husband even persuaded me to go fishing with him later that day and again yesterday!  I at first said I would sit in the truck and read my book, but I finally ventured down and found a seat on the edge of our son's kayak where he had pulled it ashore.  Soon Howard was handing me things to hold while he re-baited his hook or put his catch on a stringer, and I didn't see how he how got along without me! And I realized it was (almost) fun!

Being out in God's creation  in the gorgeous weather made it all worthwhile.  There is something about the country that is so peaceful and nostalgic, taking me back to my childhood when we nearly always lived in the country. The sparkling water, the floating white clouds in the impossibly blue sky, the wind rustling the dried reeds and grasses and the flash of gold and green as my fisherman pulled colorful fish through the water made me realize the benefits of fishing were not just the fish!  No wonder he liked it! And I am sure the fish will be delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment