Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Heartthoughts: Encounters

People can be so kind! Today in Walmart, a man smiled and  thoughtfully  stepped aside, letting my husband go first through the inner door with his handicap cart. After selecting the items we needed, Howard remembered he  wanted to buy hash browns, which he loves for breakfast.

The store had recently re-arranged things, and I wasn't sure where they were.  Then I saw a young woman without a shopping cart sweep into the frozen food aisle, grab something  and turn to go.

"Do you work here?" I asked, to which she shook her head,  then said, "What are you looking for? I know where things are and can help you find it."

"Hash browns," I said.

She rushed to the end of the aisle, pointed them out and said, "They were there where you were looking, but they've been moved down here!"

I thanked her, then thought about her kind gesture. Usually, shoppers are intent on their own mission, eyes averted and non-communicative. I find myself doing the same thing, not being naturally extroverted, contrary to my sociable husband.

My retired preacher spouse loves to hand out scripture cards with uplifting, encouraging verses, especially to those with whom he does business, even for the smallest purchase. "Read it, don't throw it away," he admonishes. They usually look at it, smile, and thank him, promising to read it. He often gets feed back that it helped them and they have kept the card.

Not long ago, we had parked next to a vehicle when an older man rode up in his handicap cart. Seeing my husband's cane, he offered the cart to him, getting appreciation from Howard, which led to a long conversation, Turns out he was a retired doctor, a Christian, and very friendly. They had the best talk (while I waited, standing on  one foot, then the other).

The doctor told of an incident with a patient on the operating table that he had no idea how to keep alive. In his despair he prayed.  He said then it seemed God took over and everything fell into place.

Shaking hands as we left,  Howard gave him a scripture card, which he promised to read. Most people are good people!


No comments:

Post a Comment