Thursday, March 1, 2018

The B-I-B-L-E, That's the Book for Me!

We had just pulled out of the driveway and hadn't gone more than a mile when I thought I heard an unfamiliar sound. We were on the way to church, hurrying to get there on time. I looked at Howard, and he didn't say anything, but I asked him, "Where is your Bible?"

I had a flashback of seeing him lift it toward the top of the car, but we had just switched vehicles and I wasn't paying much attention. He must have placed it there and forgot it!

"Back there on the road!" he said grimly. That was the sound I heard of it sliding off the car!

"What are you going to do?" I questioned in alarm. I knew it was his favorite Bible, one he had received as a gift from a ministry we support. He was turning around at the nearest side road by this time, so I knew the answer.

Sure enough, a good way down the highway I could make out something white in the middle of the road. I knew it was up to me to get out and retrieve the Bible, since he doesn't move as fast as I do, due to residual stiffness from a past surgery.

Looking both ways for busy highway traffic that zooms along from both directions, I frantically rushed to the center of the asphalt and stooped to scoop up the almost unrecognizable furled object, pages fluttering wildly in the wind. Then I saw his pen lying there, too, and hurried to scrape it up as quickly as I could before a car came by.

Telling a friend at church what happened and how scared I was of being hit, she quipped, "Well, they would at least be able to say you were chasing the Word of God!"

I had spent the ride to church straightening bent pages and smoothing wrinkles from the Holy Book, so thankful it was intact, and surprisingly, presentable again!

How important is the Word of God! The Bible tells us it is important to teach even the children! Deuteronomy 11:19 says, "And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up."

I just learned that our five-year-old great-grandson, Jaxon, who lives in Tennessee, has accepted the Lord and will be baptized next Sunday. When we visited with family there at Christmas, I noted how devout this little boy was. He sang the praise songs longer and louder than most of his little cousins, and readily prayed and worshiped with raised hands.

I was told that the other day his father counseled him about asking Jesus into his heart. "Now when you're ready, son, let me know, he said. A few days later Jaxon came to him and said, "I'm ready." His father led him in prayer as the child wept his way through to salvation! Another generation to love the Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment