Thursday, March 22, 2018

Save the Date!

"Is this the day we have our Seniors' Breakfast?" I asked my husband when I woke up. It was Tuesday, and we couldn't remember if the breakfast was on the 3rd or 4th Tuesday. We were not at church Sunday to read the bulletin, since Howard was preaching at another church.

"I think it is," he replied. "Let's get up and get ready to go!" Today was the 3rd Tuesday. Even if it was the wrong day, we could still enjoy breakfast out, we decided.

"Look, that looks like one of our members," he said of an elderly, white-haired man entering the restaurant when we drove up.

"Yes, I see the group back there," Howard continued when we got inside. But upon further inspection, we found the man sitting in a booth with his wife, instead of at the long banqueting table, which was empty.

I did see an acquaintance settling his elderly father, who had been a member of our church, into a booth. "Is this the day of the Seniors' Breakfast?" I asked, to which he replied, "Yes, I think so. It's the third Tuesday, and I told Dad he would probably see some of the seniors here today."

When we sat down, I dialed the church office to check the date. The kind secretary said she would find out, only to tell me that the breakfast is indeed on the 4th Tuesday.

"Well, we can go again next week," I pronounced, and my agreeable spouse concurred.

There is a banquet someday in the future that I must not miss! No one knows the date, nor when it will be, but we know Jesus will be there at the great Marriage Supper of the Lamb! In Matthew 24:36, Jesus, speaking of the time of His coming, tells us, "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels in heaven, but my Father only.

For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away: so shall also the coming of the Son of man be," Matthew 24:38-39.

We might not know the date, but that banqueting table will be filled with the young, and the old-made-young again that we knew and loved at our Seniors' breakfast!



No comments:

Post a Comment