Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Heartthoughts: Narrow Escape

"I think I will go check on the chicks and give them water," my husband said last night as we drove up from Bible study at the home of friends. The car lights illuminated the shed as he went in, and soon Howard got back in the car. "We lost a chick!" he announced grimly.

"Oh, one of them was dead?" I questioned, to which he replied that no, it had jumped out of the cage when he opened it! He had tried to catch it, but it disappeared into a dark corner. I suggested that it might show up by morning, but he was sure a cat would get it by then.

When we got inside the house and told our grandson, Adam, what happened, he quickly grabbed his coat and said, "I'll go find it!" I had little hope, but shortly he was back with the good news that he had rescued the baby chicken.

"How did you know where to find it?" I asked, amazed, but he shrugged and said, "I didn't! The cats showed me! They were crouched with their noses against an opening in the barn. I reached in and felt something soft squeezed in between a post and the wall. I thought sure it was dead, but it was fine when I put it back in the cage!"

Wow! What a relief! It reminded me of the scripture about the devil going about as a roaring lion, seeking who he could devour! "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour," II Peter 5:8.

To the helpless chick, the cats were lions! Well, a lion is just a big cat! Adam had saved the chicken's life! He was a savior for it when it was in danger and sure to be devoured! Figuratively speaking, he snatched it from the jaws of death.

The well-known evangelist, Reinhard Bonnke, says the purpose of his ministry is to "Plunder Hell to Populate Heaven!"

Where can we find sinners? They are everywhere, often searching for escape from loneliness or desperation in drugs, alcohol, or getting lost on line with so much available technology to distract from problems.

Share the good news with life-giving water from the Word of God. Be a life-saver for someone soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment