Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Countenances and Encounters

"I always think of Howard Summers when I see Gregory Peck," I was startled to read on Facebook. My brother Johnny had shared a picture of our late sister juxtaposed with a photo of his daughter, and remarked at the resemblance. My comment was that my daughter favored her, too, but that our daughters didn't look alike. Then he surprised me by the comment.

I had just told Howard the other day that he looked like Gregory Peck! I noticed that in the movie, "To Kill a Mockingbird." Looking over their glasses, wearing summer suits and both with a handsome head of black hair, they presented a striking similarity! I just didn't know anyone else noticed it!

Speaking of glasses, my husband may not have to wear them much longer! He is already seeing so much better since his eye surgery that he can't wait to have it done on the other eye! Then I won't have anyone to blame but myself for overlooking things around here!

A couple of days ago I was mulling over supper ideas and started to pull a box of macaroni and cheese from the cabinet. It was lying down with the blue box end toward me. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my missing Crest Whitestrips in my hand! Howard said he might have put them there when he put away other items last week from the bag I'd left on the table. Thankfully, they weren't thrown away after all, and I'll have something to smile about yet!

Another Facebook post was from my niece who said her daughter was smiling with goose bumps when she told her what had happened the night before. She had been trying to tune in praise and worship music on her radio to go to sleep by, which was her habit. Despite all her efforts, she couldn't get anything on the radio, so she lay down and tried to go to sleep. Suddenly she heard beautiful, soft, worship music, the most beautiful she had ever heard, as if from heaven! She checked, and her radio wasn't even plugged in! The beautiful song with amazing words played twice!

When I read this, it sounded familiar, and I remembered something I had read in the Guideposts that just came. A woman who had problems with anxiety could not relax on a vacation trip she was taking with her family. She wished she were home where she would feel safe. They decided to pull off at a McDonald's for a break, and suddenly she heard the most beautiful music coming from a grassy area beyond the drive-thru. A church choir was there in their purple robes giving a concert! Peace immediately filled her and she sensed a calm as she let the familiar words of the hymns wash over her.

God can show up at the most unexpected times, confirming His presence and His awareness of us. And whether my husband wears glasses or looks like a movie star or not, I can see Jesus in him, and that's with or without my glasses!

No comments:

Post a Comment