Thursday, July 18, 2013

Desires of our Heart

My husband is loving his retirement! This morning before he even got up, he said, "I have to go walk in Cann Gardens today to get some exercise." He knows I can't walk with him due to a sore knee. I noticed he also had his Bible, devotional reader and notepad under his arm when he left, and I know the park has gazebos. "Then I will get some water, and we're out of milk," he said.

Of course, I can read between the lines, because the supermarket where he gets the water also has a Starbucks and a magazine rack nearby. I can see him thoroughly enjoying himself dawdling over a cup of coffee and a guitar or farming magazine without my hurrying him along! Such innocent pleasures.

Maybe he's resting up from last week when he studied non-stop for a sermon as guest preacher at a local church on Sunday. His sermon was an amazing success, although he really didn't get into his topic, instead giving his testimony of surviving armed robberies and of his mother's miraculous healing in the fifties. He was under a strong anointing, and the congregation gave rapt attention.

Anyway, I have plenty to do this morning: Taking advantage of the silence for my own quiet time, doing dishes and laundry, besides getting myself ready for errands later, not to mention my creative side wanting to write this blog!

In reality, I know Howard is experiencing suppressed excitement and marking time until 3:00 o'clock when he and a friend have arranged a plan to go fishing! I just heard him knocking at the screen door I had fastened. "Where's the water?" I asked, and he said he decided to wait for me! We usually do errands together, anyway.

Our summer has been pretty uneventful without our usual trips to see family, due to eye appointments and a scheduled cataract surgery for him next week. Then recuperation time and surgery for the other eye will follow. If all goes well, however, the travel plans I have hatched in my head may come to pass!

In the Lord's timing, our son Mark and his wife Rhonda have just moved to Austin, Texas after several years in North Carolina. They have invited us to come see them, but it's a long drive. However, we can take the train to San Antonio, where Mark said they would meet us. Today son Jamie, from Houston, mentions in a phone call that they will visit his brother in a few weeks. We agreed it would be the perfect opportunity to be there at the same time and extend our visit to go home with Jamie's family! I've been dying to see their new home, as well!

Last night at church, our pastor preached on being surrendered to God's will. He stressed that it is not His will for Christians to be restless and discontent, because He wants us to have peace. I have been very restless with longing to see those of our kids and grandkids who live far away. I gave my restlessness to God in prayer as an act of surrender. Then today, this possibility opens up! Now I am the one with suppressed excitement! Now that's what retirement is all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment