Tuesday, July 16, 2013

On a Tuesday Morning

So that's where they get the name! I thought, when I saw an ad for Tuesday Morning on television that said their sales always start on Tuesday morning! Since today was Tuesday, I suggested that we go for an outing and drive over to Stillwater. I had been to that store a few times before, but not since last Christmas season until recently.

We poked around the store a bit, finding a couple of bargains I liked amid things marked 60, 70, and 80% off. As we left, I asked the sales clerk, "So what were your big sale items today? I know you have them on Tuesday."

"Well, we used to," she said. "Now our trucks come in on Sunday. Here are the specials," she said, handing me a glossy flier. Who knew?

It was getting near lunchtime by now, so we headed for Chick-Fila where we usually eat when we are in town. As we were finishing up, Howard asked if I would like to share a brownie and went to the counter to order one. I saw a young man taking the vases of flowers from the tables and replacing them with new bouquets. "May I switch out your flowers?" he asked as he reached over me.

"Is it time for the new season already?" I asked, thinking he was replacing them with fall flowers.

"No, we get a new shipment every Tuesday and change them out." he replied.

"You mean they're real?" I exclaimed. I had always thought they were plastic! Wow! Fresh flowers! My stuffy nose had given me no clue! I wanted to tell Howard, but he was taking a long time at the counter. What was keeping him? I wondered.

"They don't serve brownies anymore," he explained when he came back with a chocolate chip cookie. I asked what took so long, and he said he had to wait while they baked it! And it was warm with the chocolate chips gooey from the oven. Apparently flowers weren't the only thing that was fresh! I liked that idea!

In the Bible, the children of Israel gathered fresh manna every morning during their wilderness journey. No leftovers here! Something else that is new every morning is the Lord's mercy. Lamentations 3:23 says, "It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. (23) They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness." And that is true every morning, not just on Tuesdays!

No comments:

Post a Comment