Saturday, July 20, 2013

Values

"Is your movie over?" I asked my young grandaughters, Kate and Beth. They were spending the night and had brought a Dr. Seuss video to watch. Apparently, it wasn't the full-length screen version and lasted only 20 minutes.

They jumped up from the sofa with a look that said, "Now what can we do?" I thought of the collection of the Walton DVD series we have and took one out. They looked at the pictures of the TV family on the cover with fascination and questions. They seemed completely unfamiliar with the story, so I named the characters and put in a disc.

Their eyes were glued to the screen the whole time! They loved the old-fashioned depictions of family life back then. They laughed and squealed at the adventures of the kids, their innocent teen-crushes and their crotchety loveable grandparents, and the dramatic storylines with happy, moral endings.

"Can we watch another one?" they pleaded, then when that one was over they said they wanted to watch one every time they came to my house. I had no idea they would like something non-animated and minus the non-stop action and frenzy of most kids' entertainment today.

With all the high-tech development now and the modern conveniences we have we forget about the simpler, less-hurried and conservative time of yesterday. The other day I was changing bed linens preparing for expected company, and with some in the wash, I was missing a fitted sheet for my bed. I decided to use a flat sheet, knowing I would find it rumpled and loose the next day. Imagine my surprise when it stayed smoothly in place (and I'm no expert in tucking sheets) the whole week! I can hardly remember when we didn't have fitted sheets!

It reminded me of something I read about Jackie Kennedy once. Growing up, she was highly influenced by a frugal relative (aunt, I think) who taught her how to make a bed. She learned to put the bottom (flat) sheet in the laundry, replace it with the top sheet, and put a fresh sheet on the top only. This cycle saved on laundry costs. (I also read that her lavish shopping trips while in the White House were actually her way of getting cash--she would re-sell the racks of duplicate shirts, shoes, and other items she charged to her husband!)

King David spared no expense in providing things for building the temple. He scoured the country for the finest materials, using a wealth of gold, silver, bronze, iron and precious stones and gems, besides cedar and hewn stone. The people gave of their treasures to contribute to the house of God. He says in I Chronicles 29:14, "But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able to offer so willingly after this sort? for all things come of thee, and of thine own have we given thee."

God owns it all, and as good stewards, it is our responsiblity to handle it wisely, not forgetting to render unto God what is God's.

No comments:

Post a Comment