Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Storm Shelter

Why am I so hot? I wondered when I woke up during the night. Then I realized the power was off in the still, dark house with no air coming from the air conditioner. Our sleep had been punctuated throughout the night with jarring thunder and brilliant flashes of lightning.

Maybe I would be cooler at the other end of the bed, I thought, taking my pillow and moving. I must have slept, for I was awakened sometime later with a cool breeze in my face. The power had come back on and the air conditioner was working!

I was reminded of the storm during my daily Bible reading this morning in Psalm 18. David was writing in figurative language of God's delivering power to him in his distresses. Verse 9 says, "He bowed the heavens also, and came down: and darkness was under his feet. (13)The Lord also thundered in the heavens, and the Highest gave his voice; hail stones and coals of fire. (14) Yea, he sent out his arrows, and scattered them; and he shot out lightnings, and discomfited them."

My husband said to me at breakfast before I sat down to read, "I need you to bring up the bank for me on the computer; I couldn't pull it up." Oh, no! We had gone through this yesterday when the bank had changed the procedure for online banking for security reasons. An assistant had walked us through it, now it wasn't working!

This time a man patiently worked through the process with me. My frustrations surfaced at one point and I said, "Why are they changing everything?" When he answered,"The government," I blurted, "I hate the government." Well, I hadn't meant to say that; it just slipped out.

Later, in the New Testament portion of my Bible reading in Romans 7:14, I read about Paul saying how what he didn't want to do, he did, and what he wanted to do, he didn't do, speaking about the carnality of man. He concludes in verses 24,25, by calling himself wretched and questioning who will deliver him from the body of sin and death? He answers himself by saying, "I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord."

He is always the Answer, His Holy Spirit bringing refreshing like a cool breeze on a sultry night.

No comments:

Post a Comment