Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Words, Webster and Witticisms

“I’m reading the best book!” I exclaimed to my husband as he came into the room with an inquiring look on his face. “And you haven’t even cracked it open!” I chided him, holding up a copy of my new book, “Seasons of the Heart”.

“But I know the author!” he defended himself, to which I shot back, “That’s like saying you know God, but don’t read the Bible!”

Well, not a good comparison, but it popped into my mind. Of course, I had read most of it to him as I wrote it, but I couldn’t resist needling him. Anyway, I did find it interesting! Especially since time had passed since I’d recorded the events and happenings that were the inspirations for my thoughts.

A face book friend wrote that she was amazed that people were surprised when they found her witty and funny, even though she admitted to some blonde moments. I can be witty (mostly after the moment has passed), but I love to read the funny things kids say in their unconscious witticisms that reveal their transparent hearts.

Such as when another fb friend related a conversation between her and her young son as she showed him a romantic picture of an earlier version of his parents eating at a favorite Italian restaurant. Ignoring the wistful scene and dreamy-eyed young folks, his question was, “Did you eat all your food?”

It reminded me of when I showed a picture of my daughter as homecoming queen to a little girl I was babysitting. After solemnly contemplating the picture, the five-year-old asked, “Did she win because she could stand the stillest?”

My four-year-old granddaughter keeps us in smiles as we hear her spin on things like the other day when they were here visiting from Texas. In their hotel room that night, Anne-Marie said, “I miss Hooston! It’s the greatest planet on earth!”

I thought I’d heard it all though, until my daughter called me the other day and told me she was going to try a recipe called a “grunt”. “It’s the same thing you used to make with blackberries that you called a cobbler,” she explained. Since my computer was in the shop, I couldn't Google it, and it wasn't in the dictionary where I found only, "grunt: to make the sound of a hog." (Well, we did pig out over it!) However, in my “Joy of Cooking” recipe book I found it is indeed a steamed fruit dessert cooked on top of the stove and topped with biscuit dough. One recipe said its name comes from the sounds of satisfaction people make when they eat it, but the cookbook said when steamed in a bowl inside a pan of boiling water, the sound it makes when turned upside down and coming out of the bowl sounds like a grunt.

See, one can learn new things when reading my books, and I’m putting that in my next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment