Tuesday, August 30, 2011

You are the Air I Breathe

While watching the film, EVEREST, at the IMAX theatre in Ft. Worth recently, I learned something amazing about the body. As the climbers ascend to heights where the atmosphere has become thinner, they begin to suffer oxygen deprivation unless they make camp, rest, and exert themselves as little as possible for a couple of weeks until their bodies acclimate to the new environment. Meanwhile, their bodies are producing more red blood cells than usual, enabling them to take in more oxygen and continue their climb.

In reading about this later, I found out that many athletic and Olympic training camps are held at higher altitudes to increase the endurance and stamina of the athletes, since they develop greater lung capacity and increased blood cells at these levels. This enables them to compete at greater performance levels, at least for a few weeks, when the body returns to its previous state in their normal environment.

There is even evidence that living at higher altitudes increases longevity, due to the increased red blood cells bringing more oxygen to the heart. I think I have read of instances of people from Tibet or other mountainous regions who have lived extremely long lives. Of course, they get a lot of sunshine up there, which may make them healthier.

I wonder if in the same way we can increase our spiritual capacity? I know that once when I went on a three-day fast, I became more spiritually sensitive as I was less concerned about my physical needs. It was as if I had grown new spiritual receptors; the words in the Bible seemed to jump out at me with new clarity and meaning. People who spend much time in prayer seem able to do just that--spend a lot of time in prayer. They have grown stronger and increased their prayer stamina. Their hearts have grown stronger in the rarified atmosphere of prayer.

Colossians 3:1-2 tells us, “If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affections on things above, not on things on the earth.” And in Matthew 6:19-21, we are admonished not to lay up treasures on earth, but in Heaven. Verse 21 says, “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” Jesus’ blood that he shed has brought eternal life-giving oxygen to my heart, and I think I will live just fine in that ultimate High Altitude!

No comments:

Post a Comment