Saturday, August 6, 2011

Proof Positive

“Dad, they said that this is not the original car title, but a copy,” Greg told his father as he came in from the DMV. He was getting a car from us for Adam to drive to school and he was taking care of the paper work. Howard got up to go check his files for the original, but Greg interrupted him. “They said if I got a sample of your signature, and it matched the one you put on here, they would accept that, since I already had this notarized.”

“Don’t sprawl it out like John Hancock,” I chimed in as Howard took pen in hand. “You want it to match.” Sometimes my husband signs his distinctive signature in a scrawly flourish, but apparently it matched for Greg’s purposes.

One’s own name written in one’s own hand. The power of a simple signature. Almost as reliable as a fingerprint, although it can be forged. Kings used to use signet rings as their signature. When pressed into a seal of wax, it put the power of the king behind whatever document it was upon.

Jesus’ signature to us was the nail scars in his hands. His handwritten promise written in red that we could be saved from sin if we put our trust in Him. His obedience in bearing the weight of the sins of the world put all the weight of Heaven behind His Signature. When our King pressed his signet ring into the wax of the Holy Spirit, we were sealed unto the day of redemption, Ephesians 4:30.

Car titles are proof of ownership. There is an old song, I Hold a Clear Title to a Mansion, referring to our home in heaven. Jesus said in John 14:2, “In my Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.” Whether that means rooms, as some say, or dwelling places, the important thing is that Jesus will be there and there is room for all. In the next verse, He promises, “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself, that where I am, there ye may be also.” That sounds like the Signature on a Title to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment