Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Golden Years

“It’s so nice to have a man to do that!” a woman who was returning her shopping cart for the 25 cent deposit said as she noticed Howard pulling the car up to collect me and our groceries. I smiled in agreement. I was getting in the car and he was loading the groceries when she walked past again on the way to her car. “That’s a good guy!” she called back to me.

Well, of course, I know that, and probably even take for granted that he will do all the “man” things. (But the shopper likely didn’t notice the leg splint I had on, mostly hidden by the loose Capri pants I was wearing.) It’s easy to forget that there are many single moms out there who struggle with daily chores, not to mention older widows or those who live alone. And there are just lots of women with spouses who have to, or like to, do things on their own.

My husband used to work six days a week, not getting home until seven or eight o’clock at night, for most of the years our children were growing up. Then it fell to me to do everything without him--school events, shopping, picking up kids, doctor appointments and on and on. His only time was Sunday, which was church in the morning, lawn mowing and/or nap in the afternoon, and church at night.

I admit I have gotten a little spoiled now that he is home so much and we do almost everything together. But he has always been the consummate gentleman, polite and considerate even at home, and naturally assuming heavy chores or difficult tasks. I am a truly blessed woman in having a faithful, loving husband who has been such a godly example for our children.

The great passage on marriage in Ephesians 5:22-33 says in verse 25, “Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church and gave himself for it.” I can’t think of any other person that fulfills that command any more than my husband. There is a saying that goes, “The best thing a man can do for his children is to love their mother.” It must be true, because 53 years of marriage says a lot, as do the successful marriages of our six children!

No comments:

Post a Comment