Saturday, August 13, 2011

What's to Eat?

What to make for breakfast? I wondered as I headed for the kitchen this morning. With my limited sense of taste, nothing ever sounds good to me, but I still get hungry. I’m not a cereal fan, and I was tired of scrambled eggs. My eyes fell on the box of baking mix. What about a breakfast pizza? I had a small smidgen of sausage, but there was also the left-over ground beef I had cooked yesterday for tacos. That might work.

I mixed a biscuit batter, oiling the bottom of the 8 x 8 baking dish, as well as my hands, and patting it out in the pan for the crust. I had done this before for a quick lunch, and I knew tomato sauce was good on it, so I spread that on the surface. I added the meat mixture, and remembered I had pizza seasoning in a pepper-type grinder. Since my produce was low, I couldn’t chop a pepper or green onions, but the seasoning would suffice. I was also out of cheese, except for some pre-wrapped slices of a pepper cheese that Howard had gotten by mistake. Crumbled on top, it worked fine.

While the pizza baked, I cubed cantaloupe and whisked up some scrambled eggs. Since it was getting late, this would be our Saturday morning brunch, with hot coffee and a bit of the left-over peach pie from supper. Howard liked it, and we were just finishing when it was time for him to go pick up a helper he had scheduled for yard work. He had promised to take me to a movie I wanted to see this afternoon, so I did the household chores while he worked outside.

There wouldn’t be time to catch lunch before the first showing of the movie, so I was glad we’d had a hearty breakfast to tide us over, with a little help from the popcorn we shared. It was mid-afternoon when we came out of the theatre, and the first thing Howard said was, “Let’s get something to eat.” Lunching that late messed up our supper schedule, so we had a catch-as-catch-can, make-do snack when we got hungry this evening.

Breakfast time will be here right on schedule in the morning, but with our having to leave for church at 8:30 to help out during our pastor’s vacation, there won’t be time for a lavish Sunday breakfast. Cereal may have to do. Then I will have to get imaginative for our lunch, working with the scanty contents of my fridge. But the Lord always provides, and I really must buy groceries on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment