Friday, August 5, 2011

Fear Not

I woke up kind of bummed because I knew I had a doctor’s appointment this morning. I was afraid he would say there wasn’t much improvement in my knee and think up some other scenario for me to do. He had already suggested physical therapy, but gave me the option to wear the splint 3 more weeks and get water exercise. I did that, but not too diligently, I’m afraid. I thought about just cancelling and not going back. But I’m so glad I did!

“Your knee looks much better!” he pleased me by saying. He could bend it farther and press in more spots than before without pain. “Is this the only place it hurts?” he asked as I winced in one particular spot. Then he said he was going to give me some cortisone and let me go! At last! (There had been too much swelling before.) I’d heard those shots really hurt, but with the numbing agent which only stung briefly, there was no pain. The medication will last about three weeks, after which I should be fine!

My spirits lifted immediately. This had turned out to be a good week! Monday I got my computer back, so I felt like I was again in the land of the living. Tuesday, the shipment of my new book, Seasons of the Heart, came in! Thursday I got some mailed off, and today the news from the doctor. Oh yes, my eye has healed, too! “Daily He loads me with benefits”!

Why is it so easy to expect the negative? That is having faith in the wrong thing, and we are to have faith in our God who provides good things! Nine times out of ten, our worries are futile, anyway, with most things we fret about never happening. I know my granddaughters were worried and apprehensive about school starting, one in high school for the first time, but from their Facebook posts, they had a wonderful first few days of school!

My husband is re-reading a wonderful book by a Mississippi minister friend of ours, Rev. Kenneth Worley, who saw dozens of miraculous answers to prayer and God’s intervening in seemingly hopeless situations. “They sure saw a lot of miracles!“ Howard exclaimed, looking up from the book, Eye Witness to the Miraculous, to which I replied, “We probably would, too, if we stepped out in faith like they did!”

James 1:17 says, “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.” In other words, God is good all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment