Wednesday, March 3, 2021

My Husband's Shoes

 My Husband's Shoes--Isaiah 52:7

We had shopped for Howard a pair of shoes that he liked, ending up having them sent to us, and he wore them to church last night.
Howard gave a moving sermon, "God is the God of More," based on the account of Amaziah in II Chronicles 25:9 about paying the fighters in an important battle. Reluctant to do so, God told him, "The Lord is able to give you much more than this," and they were successful in battle.
My preacher husband gave several illustrations driving home his effective message.
Once, though, in a moment of self-revelation, my husband recounted a personal experience he'd had during a devotional time. He liked to rise pre-dawn and enjoy a quiet time alone with God, sometimes having a little pre-breakfast snack to sustain him.
I usually look on this indulgently, when I see he has left a nice table setting for me in my place with plate, napkin, knife and fork neatly arranged with a water glass beside it. "How sweet," I think of my now sleeping husband, as I fix myself something to eat and don't have to set the table.
Imagine my chagrin when my husband told the congregation that he sets a place for the Lord to sup with him! I know what it means to feel an inch high! He'd never said a word, just kind of looked at me fondly in an amused way when he'd see me using the plate a few times. I'm not worthy to untie the shoelaces of those new shoes of his!

No comments:

Post a Comment