Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Just a Cup of Water

Jesus said in Matthew 25:40, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

He was teaching about the criteria to enter into His Kingdom, which included tending and bestowing kindness on those hungry and thirsty, a stranger or prisoner, and the naked and sick. The basis for judgment seems to be whether or not love was shown for God's people. (I John 3:14-14).

Many times people who may be at different stages of their lives think, "Well, I'd like to be a missionary or do something for God, but what can I do? I'm just a...housewife, farmer, businessman, etc." I tended to agree with the young mother I heard of once who said, "Well, I clothe the naked and feed the hungry every day--my children!" And it's true; as wives and mothers, our first mission field is at home. But there are many ways we can show kindness to our fellowman.

The Bible says to weep with those who weep, and rejoice with those who rejoice (Romans 12:15). Jesus' words were prefaced by the righteous asking when they had ever seen Him hungry and fed Him, or thirsty and gave Him a drink, ministered to Him as a stranger, naked, sick, or in prison. That's when He told them that when they did it to the least of them, they did it as unto Him. We have the same opportunities today. We  just have to open our eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment