Sunday, March 14, 2021

 Come Unto Me

"Mom, I'm coming over to find Dad's keys," our son Greg said over the phone. Well, okay, I thought, but there's not much use. All week our searches had proved futile. But Greg had been known to go right to things before, so maybe he'd be successful this time. Only two days before I had thoroughly cleaned the bedroom where Howard's big desk is, pulling things out, dusting, mopping the wood floors and looking behind things. We had searched both cars and both desk areas.
Mister Master Detective swooped in and gave the house a once-over. He went into the dining room, looked under the bookcase, and gave the house a once-over.
"You say you always kept them in a global thing?" he questioned his dad. I told him it was the oval desk container with map designs on it. Finally, he said, "I'm going to go search the cars. Where are your car keys?" I pointed to the "map box" and he went to retrieve them, lingering over the desk a moment, then he said, "I found them!"
The lost keys? No way! Where were they? "Right here on the desk, he said, as if to answer my thoughts. I ran to look, and he pointed to a small sculpture, "Jesus and the Cross", received as a gift for our 5oth anniversary that I had only recently taken from a display case and set on the desk.
"They were hanging on the cross," Greg told me. The bronze look of keys and the medal hanging there had camouflaged them perfectly against the sculpture, besides which their vertical lines had hung in alignment with the crossbeams of the cross angled upward on the back of Jesus. Who put them there?
Whether they were there all the time, or mysteriously appeared there super naturally, the message has to be the same: Jesus is our burden bearer. Trusting Him is the "key" to freedom from the stress and worry that we try to carry ourselves. It hung on the cross with Him. Jesus said in Matthew 11:30, "For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

No comments:

Post a Comment