Saturday, September 15, 2018

The Vine Dresser

Oh, look what the goats have done," I exclaimed, so angry I could cry! We had bought a large planter with a decorative, lush tree for the porch, with several flowers growing in soil at the foot of it. I didn't know the names of them, petite little flowers with pinked edges plus a bigger one with red flowers. I finally realized it was salvia, flowers that we had had in Mississippi. And now the goats had gotten out and devoured them, leaving nothing but a few stems.

This happened a month or so ago, and the little flowers have thankfully grown back, along with a leafy plant I didn't recognize, although it looked like an aggressive weed I had seen growing around fences here. Daily I looked at the plant, wondering if it were a flower or a weed. All it would do was grow pretty leaves. A while ago, I decided to yank it out. As I plucked out the last vestige of it, my heart sank! A bright red bud of a flower peeked out from the center of the leaves! Now I was heartsick again!

Somehow this made me think of a parable Jesus spoke in Luke 12:6-9. "A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. Then he said unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?"

"And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it and dung (fertilize) it: And if it bear fruit, well: and if it not, then after that thou shalt cut it down."

This speaks to me of having grace for those we see who may be half-heartedly serving God, or are immature in the faith. One might be tempted to give up on a new convert, or one for whom one has prayed for years to no avail.

Like the vine dresser in the parable who was willing to be patient and try a little longer, all the while strengthening the fig tree by turning and enriching the soil, may we be supportive and encouraging to a weak Christian. One may very well see their efforts bear fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment