Thursday, September 6, 2018

Rise and Shine!

"I wish you would make a cake," Howard said wistfully last night after a light supper. I thought about it for minute, reflecting that there was no cake mix in the cupboard.

"Okay," I agreed, thinking I could make half a chocolate sheet cake, the easiest cake ever. Confident that I could make it from memory, I assembled the ingredients, mixed the batter with flour, cocoa, eggs, etc. and put it in the oven. Turning my attention to making the frosting, I glanced at the counter and saw the box of baking soda still sitting there. Then it hit me! I hadn't put the soda in with the buttermilk, and the batter was already baking! Now the cake wouldn't rise!

My tolerant husband liked it anyway, and the frosting was delicious. But the cake was flat, firm, and more like eating a piece of fudge than sheet cake!

The non-rising batter made me think of scriptures in the Bible that refer to leaven, or yeast. Galatians 5:9 records Jesus saying, "A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump," which seems to be used in a somewhat negative context here, referring to unfavorable influence. As the yeast grows within the dough, the rest of the dough is affected.

In Matthew 13:33, Jesus says,"The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened." This indicates a good context, and makes me think of how the gospel is spreading around the world! This is accomplished not only by missionaries these days, but the wonderful communication systems we have today! Christians are the vital ingredient!

No comments:

Post a Comment