Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Small Appliances

A few months ago, we were browsing at an estate sale, more out of curiosity than anything else. We didn't need a thing, but my eye was caught by a handsome, stainless steel Sunbeam toaster. Ours had seen better days, so I beckoned Howard to take a look. The sales clerk was happy to show it to us, demonstrating an unusual feature it had. The bread lowered itself into the toaster automatically!

We brought it home, and it looked majestic on the counter, its rounded corners so smooth and elegant. But we couldn't make it toast! My determined husband fiddled with it, finally turning it upside down. Strangely, the bread toasted after it was set upright. I lost patience with it, but he did the routine every morning making it work, sparing my frustration.

Then yesterday a funny thing happened. "I figured out how to use the toaster," my patient spouse announced proudly. "You have to put the bread in on the right side first!" Sure enough, it worked! I tried it and watched the bread slowly go down before it just as slowly raised two perfect slices of toast! We must not have noticed that when it was shown to us!

It kind of reminded me of people. They have different ways of doing things. I do things differently than my honey does. He is maddeningly slow and meticulous with details, such as making sure every paper is stacked perfectly, or writing notes and letters with his careful penmanship, while I dash off near-unintelligible handwriting or hurried housework. (A friend used to say lightly of her husband, "He is on half time and I am on double time!")

People may react differently in ways of worship or prayer. Some are jubilant and expressive, while others are quietly meditative or praying silently.

Some are left-handed, some are ambidextrous and some are right-handed (like our toaster)! Some like toast and others prefer biscuits for breakfast. The important thing is that we have the Bread of Life, or we are toast!

No comments:

Post a Comment