Friday, September 14, 2018

The Run

We went to the 125th anniversary commemorating the 1893 Land Run yesterday in our home town of Blackwell, Oklahoma. Howard was especially interested, since his paternal grandfather ran in the Cherokee Strip and homesteaded near the young town of Hennessy where he raised nine children. My husband's dad was the youngest, whose mother died when he was nine years old.

A delicious spread of potluck fare was relished during visiting and conversation by the mostly senior crowd in attendance. Howard had been asked to give the invocation for lunch and the meeting. Later, when people were invited to share stories of ancestors' adventures, trials, and hardships of the run, he related like memories handed down to him from his father and grandfather.

Afterward, when I reflected on the gathering and the fellowship and the camaraderie of the group, it reminded me of how it will be in heaven. People knowing each other from their time on earth, the joy of fellowship and the feast at The Marriage Supper of the Lamb. All vestiges of time will drop away.

We were invited to the event by a long-ago friend from High School, a church pal we had known and worshiped with in the tender age of our youth. Separation by distance and decades didn't factor into a warm hug and friendly greeting by our friend. "I know these kids!" she announced.

A soloist was the "entertainment," and we sang along with several old hymns she featured. I especially enjoyed it, because she sang in the same style as my late sister. She even reminded me of her in her looks. Afterwards, I was able to meet the singer and tell her so.

At the close of the ceremony. prizes were awarded to those who had the right number on tickets received as we came in. Our grandson, Adam, called out the numbers, and Howard's was the first called! (The $5 reward bought us ice cream for the ride home!)

"Grandpa," Adam announced on the way home, "You were the only one there with black hair!"

I had to smile, but I knew that believers in today's sea of white hair will be restored to youth and beauty in heaven, a great reward, in my opinion!


1 comment: