Sunday, August 26, 2018

Wake Up!

Visiting with our daughter, Amy, on the phone today, I told  her about going to a get-together for ladies from church the other evening. "Howard was supposed to pick me up at 8:00 o'clock, " I said, "I kept looking for him, as most of the people were going home, so I called him. He sounded a bit groggy, so it was obvious he had fallen asleep!"

"I told Julie (my other daughter) about this when I  phoned her earlier," I said to Amy. "Then she had to tell what happened to her!"

 It seems Julie was visiting at a daughter's house a few days ago, and Steve (her husband)  was to come for her at a certain time. Time went by as she waited expectantly as the day wore on. Finally her son-in-law got home from work, and still no husband to take her home.  Turns out he fell asleep!

Then Amy laughed and said, "Corrin (her daughter) and David (Corrin's intended) came down from college yesterday, and David was to ask her daddy if he could marry Corrin." Amy told me the women of the house left to go shopping, leaving the guys at home.

"When we got back, Corrin asked David if he got to ask the question," Amy went on.

 "David answered, 'No, your dad dozed off and slept the whole time you were gone, and I didn't get to ask him!'" 

Needless to say, there were three disgruntled females in the family lately, thanks to these heavy-eyed, slumberous men!

Several incidents of sleeping are referred to in the Bible: Jesus sleeping during a storm, the disciples falling asleep in the garden, a little boy going to sleep and falling out a window during a long sermon, and the ten sleeping virgins, to name a few.

Natural sleep is  necessary, but  being spiritually awake is even more so. Paul writes of the importance of this: "Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light," Ephesians 5:14.










No comments:

Post a Comment