Monday, August 27, 2018

The Real Thing!

For  months, even years, I have admired a patriotic scene visible from the road as we drove into the country. The panoramic display was only intermittent, though, and I was always fascinated when I spotted it--a beautiful horse standing quietly in front of a trailer with an American flag floating in the breeze atop a tall flag pole. I reasoned that it was often taken away for a horse show or something.

I puzzled over it when it  was gone, and recently I said to our son,  "Look! The horse is back! I wonder why they take it away sometimes?"

"What horse?" he asked cluelessly.  Then, "You mean the statue?"

"What? That is a statue?" I exclaimed in disbelief. Come to think of it, I realized the "horse" looked a little less resplendent today, even a little shabby and shop-worn! And to think I had revered it all this time!

Sometimes we envy or admire people who may be beautiful on the outside and seem to have it all together.  But sadly, when we get to know them, they may be shallow and not all that perfect at all! Even what we may think is a devoted Christian may turn out to be counterfeit. Just a statue of a Christian!

Jesus tells about this kind of people in several scriptures: The Pharisee who was proud of fasting twice a week, and not like the publican, who actually asked God to be merciful to him, a sinner, Lk 18:12-13.

In Mark 7:6, He speaks of those who honor Him with their lips, but whose heart is far from Him. Jesus tells us to judge not according to appearance, but judge righteous judgement. Jn 7:6.

He mentions "whited sepulchres" to describe hypocrites, Matt. 23:27.  That term makes me think of the pilllar of salt, the  fate of Lot's wife for looking back. Let's always look ahead, keeping our eyes on the prize and recognizing the statues in our life for what they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment