Friday, August 31, 2018

New (Out) Look!

"Oh, that looks nice there," I said to the cleaning lady when I came in. After dusting, she had made an artful arrangement atop a display case from a basket of decorative grapes. I am often surprised at how she puts things in back in place slightly differently from what I had done, but it is usually an improvement.

"You have an eye for that," I told her one day when I saw magazines stacked with a little swirl on an end table.

"Oh, I used to stage new homes for a realtor!" she announced proudly. No wonder, then!

Once I complained that our bed took up too much room in our small bedroom. "Turn it the other way," she advised, to which I replied that it wouldn't help. Then a few days ago I did change it, and it looks much better and roomier, too! She was happily surprised that I took her advice.

My helper's changes are nothing major, just setting something at a different angle, or the way books are stacked, or the novel placement of a set of ceramic storage jars in the bathroom. Nothing major, but they are always refreshing.

Reflecting on this made me think of songs we sing at church. For years we have revered and sung the old hymns, with Howard especially favoring them over anything new. But lately we have learned to love the new songs, as well! The meaningful messages, the bold exclamations of faith, and the jubilant joy of them!

One day I even heard my husband tell the pastor, "You're about to get me converted." Pastor looked puzzled, and Howard said, "To the new songs!"

Psalm 98:1 admonishes, "O sing unto the Lord a new song for He hath done marvelous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory."




No comments:

Post a Comment