Sunday, April 29, 2018

Heartthoughts:Keep on Keeping on!

"Wait! I want to see the pillows," I said to my hubby as we were walking up the aisle at Walmart. I glanced quickly through the decorative pillows, and then one took my eye. "Oh, look, isn't that pretty?" I exclaimed.

He had walked on by this time, so I took it upon myself to put it in the shopping cart when I caught up with him. Not that I needed any more sofa pillows, but it would complement the decorative motif I have going on. Anyway, it was only eight dollars.

"Hey, that pillow rang up $16!" Howard protested. The cashier stopped and said that was the right price, while I thought it was probably worth it and we had made a mistake. When he had totaled our purchases, he called after us that we could stop at Customer Service and they could verify the price.

I thought we would go on, but my thrifty spouse stopped there. After much waiting and checking, an employee came back with the good news that it was only $7.99! They refunded the over-payment. It pays to be persistent!

We had put out tomato plants and green onions and covered them when a cold snap was predicted. Alas, we lost them to the freeze. But we persisted and have now set out more tomato plants, beans and okra! While doing this, I noticed curious, leafy plants growing in an orderly pattern. Potatoes! We had planted them earlier, and now they were up!

Several incidents in the Bible demonstrate the importance of persistence: The woman with the issue of blood who was healed by pushing through the crowd to touch Jesus, as recorded in Matthew, Mark, and Luke. The Canaanite mother who protested to Jesus that even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from the master's table, Matthew 15:27. And the story of the unjust judge who rendered justice to a persistent widow. Luke 18:2.

Whether pertaining to pillows, plants or people, the moral of the story is "Don't give up!"


No comments:

Post a Comment