Saturday, April 7, 2018

Auction!

My farm life activities also seem to include going to livestock auctions! At least that's where we went the other night. I must admit the sheep and goats were interesting, even fascinating when strange breeds I had never seen were paraded in front of us as we watched from our elevated view.

I fell in love with one group of goats that were marked like puppies with their brown heads and patches of white on their faces. The spiral-horned sheep were majestic, some with a V-shaped bib of wool dangling from their chest. One animal, sheep or goat, I don't remember, had a black head and shoulders like a hood, contrasting with the solid white body. Beautiful!

Despite their charm and beauty, I couldn't help feeling sorry for the animals, trapped and swatted in the viewing area, fear and uncertainty filling their eyes as they darted around looking for a way of escape. It made me think of how slaves were treated as they stood on the auction block not knowing their fate.

I was reminded of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, Hosea 3:2, when Hosea saw his adulterous wife on the auction block and bought her back, despite her disloyalty in the past and possibly in the future. God had ordained this in order to show the unfaithfulness of Israel, and yet He loved them.

Before knowing God and accepting Jesus as Saviour, we were all slaves to sin. Perhaps we were searching for a way out, as were the animals at the auction. Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man cometh to the Father but by me." John 14:6. The only way!

No comments:

Post a Comment