Saturday, April 14, 2018

Heartthoughts: Higher than I

"Look at the geese, flying to the pond," I exclaimed to my husband as we sat on the yard swing late yesterday afternoon. They looked so awe-inspiring, sailing along on the cooler breeze that had sprung up, then they disappeared beyond the trees.

A little later, I thought I saw them again, until I realized what I was viewing was not geese with flapping wings, but eagles! There were probably a dozen or more of them circling above us, at first small in the sky, but as they swooped closer we could see how large they were! I oohed and aahed over the rare sighting! I knew eagles clustered around a lake several miles away, but I had never seen them this close!

"They must be riding on the air currents," I ventured, while the eagles floated effortlessly above us. It was exciting to see them fly away and re-appear over our heads, ever closer to us.

"Maybe they are eyeing our little pigs!" Howard surmised. "My dad told me when he was a kid some eagles on the Cimarron river stole a neighbor's baby pigs!"

I couldn't believe they might do that, but they were zooming rather close over the pigs' enclosure! And I had a faint recollection of a newspaper article in which a goat was picked up and dropped on someone's adjacent property by an eagle!

The sun was setting, and soon the eagles disappeared. We went inside, but I began to think about eagles being mentioned in the Bible. Solomon ponders in Proverbs 30:18-19, "There are three things which are too wonderful for me. Yes, four which I do not understand: The way of an eagle in the air, The way of a serpent on a rock, The way of a ship in the midst of the sea, and the way of a man with a maid."

In Exodus 19:4, God tells Moses, "You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles' wings and brought you to Myself."

But possibly my favorite mention of eagles is in Isaiah 40:31, "Those who wait upon the Lord will renew their strength; They shall mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint."

No comments:

Post a Comment