Thursday, April 26, 2018

Heartthoughts: By Any Other Name....

A funny video on Facebook about choosing a "Grandma" name made me think of an incident several years back. I was at their house one day when my grandchildren had a friend over to play. I saw the little girl as she passed the window, seeing me, then I heard her say, "There's a Go-Go in there!"

I laughed, because I knew her grandmother was called "Go-Go." It seems when one of the grandchildren was young, he tried to say "Grandma," but it came out, "Go-Go." The name stuck through the rest of the grandchildren!

Sadly, I didn't have a close relationship with my paternal grandmother, and I only saw my mother's mom a couple of times that I remember. Actually she was Mama's step-mother who raised her. Mama's biological mother died when my mother was still an infant. Distance was a factor at that time, and southwest Texas was just too far.

It seems most grandmothers today have the joy and pleasure of being near their grandchildren and a part of their lives as they grow up. With the exception of one family living close, all mine live far away. It reminds me of when I was raising my children, and we lived 500 miles from my parents, their beloved grandparents.

There were grandchildren aplenty living close to Mama, though, and she had the opportunity to see that they were in church and learning to serve the Lord. I still hear from those nieces and nephews about the influence she had on their lives, getting them to the altar to be saved and baptized!

I am reminded of the scripture in II Timothy 1:5, when Paul writes to Timothy, "When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also."

My daughters now have the fun of choosing a "Grandma" name. I am "Mimi" to my grands, and my oldest daughter has chosen that for her name as well! That promoted me to "Mimi the Great!" My youngest daughter, Amy, expands on her name to be called "M'Amy"!

So what's in a name? A lot of love!

No comments:

Post a Comment