Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Heartthoughts: Job 12:7, "But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air; and they shall tell thee."

Gazing out the window yesterday, I did a double-take! I had been enjoying looking at the pastoral scene down the slope of chickens pecking, roosters crowing, goats grazing and piglets rooting. The young pigs seemed to be unusually active, flying around their pen in a pink streak. If I didn't know better, I would think there were extra pigs in there.

What? My vision must be getting bad, because instead of two pigs in their pen, I saw four! What in the world? I had been home all afternoon, so how did two more pigs appear out of nowhere?

Going out and getting a closer look, I could see the new pigs were smaller, almost like babies! So cute, but where did they come from? When Howard got home, he was surprised, but he recalled that he had originally wanted female pigs, which were to be delivered at a later date. So that was it! A vehicle had obviously come in without my hearing it! Mystery solved!

While pigs are not my favorite animal, I find the young ones cute and entertaining. They are especially comical when their snouts are covered in mud and they stand stiffly looking at you through the fence with their long lashes.

My grandson and I got into a discussion today about animals. "Some people call a chicken an animal," I mused, to which he said, "They are an animal!" We argued back and forth, because I think of an animal as being a cat, dog, horse, or other four-legged beast, and a chicken, a fowl.

Many don't like to eat pork, but the Bible says in Acts 10:11 that God showed Peter a vision of all kinds of beasts, creeping things, and fowls of the air, and told him to kill and eat. Peter protested, "Not so, Lord, for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean."

And the voice spake unto him again the second time, "What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common," Acts 10:15. So I believe it is okay to eat pork, which is very tasty!

A few days ago, Howard was telling me that eagles could snatch our baby pigs up and carry them away. That, and the suddenness of the little pigs appearing in our pen made me think of the suddenness of the Lord's coming. Matthew 24:40 tells us, Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. (41) Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left. (42) Watch therefore: For ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

No comments:

Post a Comment