Saturday, July 18, 2015

Tennessee Scramble

My traveling and keeping up with things don't mix.  During three extended trips lately, I not only left my electric toothbrush and my favorite pillow at one son's house, I repeated the blooper with the replacement pillow we had bought. This time I left it on a motel bed where I had enjoyed a night's sleep!

On one return trip recently, I remembered that I had forgotten my computer power cord, plugged into the wall at our overnight lodging!  More money spent on a new cord!

"I can't find my brush!" I said to Howard as I searched my purse after leaving a grandson's house.  They had graciously put us up, saving a hotel fee while we were in town for his brother's services. I remembered laying the recently-bought, pricey hairbrush on top of my purse, to pack at the last minute. It must have rolled off and I didn't notice.  Not only that, an expensive (for a comb) styling comb is missing.  I kept thinking it was in the other purse I brought, but obviously it is lost.

"We missed a call," my husband said on our first night home.  I dialed the unfamiliar number and got a voice mail in a foreign accent saying, "Did you leave a pair of glasses in your room when you stayed here?" I recognized the voice of the desk attendant in lodgings ran by a family from India. Since the sunglasses I had just bought with birthday money were missing, I called back.  They were not sunglasses, so I knew they were just a pair of dollar readers.  I told her not to worry about it.  The sunglasses are still missing.

I pack as carefully as I can, but we had only just returned from a wedding trip when we had to repack for the sad occasion of our grandson's funeral.  Everything was ready the night before, so we could leave bright and early the next morning.  I trusted my husband to get the clothes he needed, but when it was time to dress for the solemn event, he found he had not brought the dress shirt he had laid out. It was hanging on a chair when we got home.  Most people there were in somber black, but he wore a short-sleeve, tan, summer shirt . Then he was asked to say a few words.  I think his heartfelt words made up for any dress faux pas, however.

One of the most important things we left was a carton of gold nuggets.  Not really, just a dozen eggs that our daughter had sent with us, courtesy of a friend at work who had given her several dozen farm-fresh eggs. "They will be fine in the air-conditioned car," I told Amy.  We even took them into the motel room and put them in the refrigerator. And there they still are, unless the cleaning lady took them home and enjoyed a special treat of golden, scrambled eggs!


No comments:

Post a Comment