Friday, July 17, 2015

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Twenty-eight balloons.  I was clueless about the number of balloons released at our grandson's graveside rites.  I just knew there was a bunch, but of course it made sense that there was one for each of his 28 years. These weightless, shiny orbs floated upward until they were out of sight, symbolizing Joshua's spirit going to heaven, lightening for a moment the weight of heavy hearts below.

How appropriate, really.  The Bible says in James 4:14, "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow, For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time and then vanisheth away."

Joshua loved balloons.  I recall a time when he was a little over 2 years old and his sister Bethany was 16 months.  I worked at our church as office secretary, and for Secretaries' Day, I had received a beautiful pot of red tulips with a shiny, red, Mylar balloon attached. It was heart-shaped, if I remember right.  I kept the arrangement out of the grandchildren's reach, though they eyed the tantalizing balloon whenever they came over.

When I noticed that the balloon seemed to be deflating a little,  I took it down and offered it to the babies to play with. Bethany grabbed it, and in one fell swoop, expertly looped the string around her hand and dashed off with the prize, leaving a slightly baffled Joshua looking on.  All I could see was a blur of blonde curls and a streak of red as she made her way around the dining room table, on past the kitchen and into the den, squealing, "B'oon! B'oon!"  She had a red balloon and she wasn't letting go.

Then her feminine, mothering self surfaced, and she brought the balloon back to her big brother, forcibly thrusting it from her chest into his welcoming arms!  She gave him her heart!  And he had it for the rest of his life.  They were extremely close.  She has said he was her first playmate, first teacher and first friend.

Bethany married and has a family.  Joshua never married.  After the funeral, Bethany confided to me, "Mimi, all of us kids have had our special days when we were the center of attention.  Our weddings were big celebrations like a big party.  Josh never had that."  I listened, and she went on, "All the people who turned out today, some from very far away, coming to show their respects to Joshua...I feel like he would have enjoyed it, like it was his party."

I had to agree, especially as my heart swelled with emotion as I saw the very long line of cars following the hearse to his final resting place on this earth.  And it was a wedding, of sorts, for Joshua was going to meet the heavenly bridegroom.  Perhaps there would even be balloons!

No comments:

Post a Comment