Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Grandmother of the Groom

I had seen the dress several months ago.  It was springtime then, with fresh, summery fashions being featured in stores.  When I saw the long, flowered dress with a filmy blouse-style jacket tied above the waist, I imagined myself in it at our grandson's garden wedding. In the dressing room, I loved the shape of it, but I realized it was a little snug, and I didn't see one in the next size.  Reluctantly, I placed it back on the hanger.

A week or so before the wedding in June, I was again in my favorite store.  I gasped when I saw it! The dress!  This time it was reduced considerably, and in the right size! I wasted no time in trying it on. Hm. The jacket fit perfectly, but the skirt was too loose.  After much inward deliberation, I got it anyway.

I tried the dress on at home with different shoes. Then I remembered a dress I had bought but didn't wear to another grandson's wedding a couple of years ago. It was never worn, with the tags still on it. Putting it on, I liked it better than I remembered. That's the one I wore to the wedding.  It was the right choice, being cooler with the fluttery sleeves and flowing, handkerchief hem, just right for the lovely, outdoor wedding.

I admired the bride's creativity and taste when we walked through a pair of antique doors resurrected from Old New Orleans and built into a framework by her friends. Rustic containers of tiny, blue flowers with sprigs of baby's breath were fastened at the end of each row of church benches bordering the grassy aisle we walked down.

A vision of blush pastel were the lovely bridesmaids waiting with their bouquets on one side of the flower-bedecked pole structure behind the minister, complemented by the soft-grey of the tuxedos worn by handsome groomsmen on the other side--all against a backdrop of tall, waving grass in the field behind them.

Other than the wedding pair, stunning in their wedding clothes, sweetest of all were the little children dressed in white and tumbling out of or pulling a wagon, flower petals from a basket falling beside them.  Their golden curls and tamed shocks of hair above rosy cheeks made them seem right out of a Botticelli painting.

We are back home now, and today I returned the dress.  On the way there, I received the news that another grandson just got engaged!  Maybe I should have kept the dress!  Now I have another wedding to look forward to and a dress to select!

I may be uncertain about wedding clothes here on earth, but the most important one is on layaway in Heaven, when I attend the Marriage supper of the Lamb!  I will be sure to have my wedding garment on! Matthew 22:11; Revelation 3:5. 

"Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honor to him: for the marriage supper of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. And to her it was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints," Revelation 19:7-8. 

No comments:

Post a Comment