Friday, July 31, 2015

Brave as a Lion

At our Senior Ladies' breakfast the other morning, someone asked me my name.  I told her, and the person next to me jokingly said, "That's been your name all day, hasn't it?" to which I replied, "Yes, and every day for 76 years!"

"Why, she's just a baby!" exclaimed the one who had asked my name.  How sweet!  I guess the way to feel young is to hang out with older people!  It made me think of the scenario in the Bible during the future time of the Millennium which says, "There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old," Isaiah 65:20.

Of that time, scripture says in Isaiah 11:6, "The wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a  little child shall lead them."

I was saddened to hear about the baby giraffe in the Dallas zoo that died an accidental death this week. I read that its birth had even been featured on Animal Planet.  I suppose that since a giraffe's birth in captivity is extremely rare, it captured the attention of many people, who were also affected by the loss. But I was surprised to find that so many are donating and expressing extreme sorrow over this unfortunate event.

Even more surprising is the public outcry of rage about Cecil the lion being killed by a safari hunter. Don't get me wrong. I love and admire animals.  They are God's creation and can teach us much if we observe and care for them.  I just wonder why people are not expressing more outrage over the recently discovered abortion atrocities!

Our women's group has been viewing videos as part of a study by Lisa Bevere called Lioness Arising. She was inspired by the scripture that says, "Behold, the people shall rise up as a great lion (lioness in some versions), and lift up himself as a young lion: he shall not lie down until he eat of the prey, and drink the blood of the slain," Numbers 23:21. This was revealed to her in a dream in which she saw a magnificent lioness and was taken by her strength and beauty. She points out that Jesus is called The Lion of Judah!

In her teachings, Lisa applies the qualities of tenderness and strength in the lioness in encouraging women who are not aware of their potential in the kingdom of God for defeating the adversary. God has opened opportunities for this formerly stay-at-home mom to work in rescuing trafficking victims and their little ones.  Her theme is "Awake and Change Your World."  May we accept the challenge to find our place of service!  We need not be babies, even at 76!


No comments:

Post a Comment